Superplasticizers Market: Overview
- Superplasticizers are also called high range water reducer. Superplasticizers are chemical additives and synthetic polymers that are extensively used in the building & construction industry for applications such as concrete strengthening. Superplasticizers allow more than 30% reduction in the water content.
- Superplasticizers can be used in three ways: to create flowing and self-leveling concrete without increasing water, without sacrificing strength, and without reducing cement; to produce high-strength concrete by reducing water and thus water-cement ratio; and to save upon cement by reducing both cement and water contents while maintaining same water-cement ratio and same workability.
Rise in Demand for Superplasticizers in Building & Construction Industry to Drive Market
- Rise in demand for cement concrete with high fluidity and workability properties along with low water requirement is driving the global superplasticizers market. Rise in commercial and residential building projects in various developed and developing countries is another key factor expected to boost the global market. Additionally, development of various high-scale infrastructure projects including bridge, dam, and roads in developing countries is expected to boost the global superplasticizers market. Furthermore, advancement in in-transit admixing technologies, including automated slump management system, is estimated to boost the market during the forecast period.
- The global superplasticizers market is facing supply-demand shortages due to the industrial shutdown triggered by the COVID-19 outbreak. Disruption in raw material supply is anticipated to hamper full-scale operations. Supply shortage has also led to a rise in prices of raw materials. Additionally, industrial shutdown has adversely impacted product and inventory transportation, as logistic services have been hampered due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
More Trending Reports by TMR:
Polycarboxylate Derivatives (PC) Type Segment to Offer Lucrative Opportunities
- Based on type, the global superplasticizers market can be segmented into sulfonated naphthalene-formaldehyde condensates (SNF), sulfonated melamine-formaldehyde condensates (SMF), polycarboxylate derivatives (PC), modified lignosulfonates (MLS), and lignosulfonates (LS)
- The polycarboxylate derivatives (PC) segment held major share of the global superplasticizers market in 2019. Excellent dispersibility and water reduction capabilities are estimated to drive the demand for PC-based superplasticizers. Polycarboxylate superplasticizers are employed as high-range water reducers in high performance concrete, high volume fly ash/slag concrete, high-strength concrete, dry mortar, and cement grouting. Thus, PC is projected to be a rapidly growing segment of the market in the next few years.
Ready-mix concrete Application Segment to Hold Major Share of Market
- Based on application, the superplasticizers market can be divided into ready-mix concrete, precast concrete, self-compacting concrete, high performance concrete, and others
- The ready-mix concrete segment is expected to dominate the global superplasticizers market during the forecast period. This can be ascribed to its ease in transportation and rise in number of applications across residential, industrial, and commercial constructions. Construction companies find can reduce labor and inventory costs by opting for ready-mix concrete instead of site-mixed concrete. This is estimated to boost the ready-mix concrete segment in the near future.
Asia Pacific to Constitute Significant Share of Global Superplasticizers Market
- In terms of region, the global superplasticizers market can be split into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific dominated the global market in 2019, owing to the presence of key manufacturers as well as growth in trade activities from China. Expansion of the building & construction industry in Asia Pacific is expected to boost the superplasticizers market in the region in the near future. Growth in trend of suburbanization across emerging economies of Asia Pacific is driving the superplasticizers market in the region. Countries in Asia Pacific such as China, South Korea, Japan, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, the Philippines, and India are among the top 20 consumers of cement across the world. Asia Pacific is anticipated to be the largest consumer of superplasticizers due to the high consumption of cement in countries in the region.
- North America is also projected to account for key share of the global superplasticizers market during the forecast period
Key Players in Market
- Manufacturers of superplasticizers are highly consolidated in Asia Pacific. Trading activities in countries in Asia Pacific, such as China, have been increasing at a rapid pace since the last few years.
- Prominent players operating in the global market are investing in technological developments and new product launch in order to maintain their leading position